Gay/Lesbian Issues Trivia - Answers1. When General Eisenhower told his assistant to make a list of all lesbians from the Woman's Air Corps for discharge, what was her response?
"The first name on the list will be mine."
More from Silence = Relief:
In Europe after World War II, General Dwight D. Eisenhower told his
clerk, WAC Sergeant Johnnie Phelps, that he'd heard rumors there were
lesbians in the WAC battalion and asked her to prepare a list naming
them so he could discharge them. Phelps bravely told Ike that she'd do
as he asked, but that her name would be at the top of the list. A more
junior clerk then spoke up saying, "Begging the general's pardon,
but my name will be above Sgt. Phelps' because I'll be typing
it."Realizing he'd be getting rid of most of his file clerks,
typists, and a large share of his headquarters' support staff,
Eisenhower withdrew the order.
3. What was the first mainstream film to make Nazi persecution of homosexuals a key element?
Mel Brook's To Be or Not To Be
More from StageBusiness.com:
question about gay and lesbian theater in the 21st Century reminds me of Mel
Brooks (or Jack Benny) in "To Be Or Not To Be" when the Nazis are
rounding up people in Poland - where his character owns a theater - he says
something like, "They're arresting Jews, gypsies and homosexuals in the
theater? There wouldn't be any theater without Jews, gypsies and
4. Before being elected to Congress in 1972, Jesse Helms was a:
Sunday School Teacher
Dr. Tom Waddell and Charles Deaton
More from Books in Print.
6. The first U.S. state to enact a statewide gay rights statute was:
More from West
More about Terry Sweeney
8. Speaking of television, three lesbian guests were introduced on a 1988 Oprah Show as:
"Women Who Hate Men"
10. The internationally famous lesbian couple who founded the Daughters of Bilitis are:
Phyllis Lyons and Del Martin
More from Out in the Mountains
Contribute to G/L Issues
to help with our expenses